Colton's ready for his mission

Colton's ready for his mission

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

I think I have two weeks left in the transfer?

I'm so glad I don't keep too much track of time in the mission. It's so much nicer than thinking about what day it is, or when you last had a home-cooked meal. :) The work was kinda hard this week. Only one investigator attended church (he isn't progressing much) and the people that are closest to baptism love when we visit them, but aren't acting enough. And we were 115 miles over at one point this much, so we've been walking a lot this week. And we didn't go to Othello, so I have one box of pasta roni, a couple pop tarts, two half-full boxes of cereal, chips, fruit roll ups, and granola bars to survive on for the week. I love the mission so much. :) I mean, if I have to go through something hard like this, what better time to be doing it then when I have the blessings of the comfort of the Lord? When I have the joy of knowing I'm doing what's right? I'm not crazy, really. Well, maybe a little. But I'm happy I'm able to overcome all this. I'm glad that God is helping me be like him.

Anyway, this morning we woke up at 4:30 to go play basketball with some members and non-members alike at the school for an hour or so. I'm not any good, but it was pretty fun. Plus the non-members got to see us as human beings for once. :) Elder Kelly says he's not very good, but he know's he's better than he says, hehe. This week we also found Berto Hernandez, who has known about the church for ten years, had a book of mormon for that same amount of time, and says he's been visited by the missionaries something like once every year. I think he said it was right about time for us to show up again. We tracted into him. :) He sees how good the people of the church are, and understands a lot already. I think he's just afraid to change, afraid to make his wife mad (He said she's "hard-core" Catholic) and isn't sure he can accept that the Catholic church, which he's gone to all his life, doesn't have Christ's authority. We answered some questions he had, but also made it clear, that if he wants to know the truth, he needs to read the Book of Mormon, and ask God for his answer, not us. We plan on visiting him again to help him have the motivation to do that. We also met this week Alvina, who when she answered the door, asked US for El Libro de Mormon, because her son had it in english which she can't read, and she wanted to read it. She also said she liked reading, which I haven't heard yet on my mission til now. She then continued to ask what the book was about, and how she could learn more. We gave her a Restoration pamphlet and a return appointment (we would have done more, but it was cold outside, and there wasn't a man in the house). When we came back, her nephew claimed she was in Yakima. Alvina then came to the door. The kid must have been embarrassed. Anyway, we were able to come inside this time, and she asked us before we could even say much when we had church, what it was like, etc. I've said a lot about her, but suffice it to say, we're very excited about her. :)

 I also just finished Jesus the Christ today, and Wow! its a really good book. It helps you understand so much more about who Jesus Christ was, what he did, and why he did it. It makes you realize that he had a purpose for every little action, no matter how great or small. It helps you love your Savior more, when you realize how great the Atonement really was. And it makes you look forward to when he'll come again in all his glory. I was discouraged by some to not read it, at least not yet, because most of it isn't doctrine that you teach to investigators. I made sure to not spend too much time reading it, but I'm glad I have completed it, because it's strengthened my testimony incredibly, and made me appreciate the Christ, the Son of God, so much more.

Hmm. Hopefully that does it this week. The pictures are of the kind of food I eat (that was at the beginning of the week) and of my many beautiful ties. :) I'm super proud of them, and going to explain them all. The red one is the tie I got from Elder Christensen, and the black and gold is one I traded my white tie for. I need a new white tie.... but it was worth it. I got the blue/teal one from Elder Barr, and the red and black is one I bought back home for a dance with Caroline Thorley. The blue and black stripe tie is one I stole from my dad. The black paisley is one I got from Elder Pinegar, and the purple and silver is one I might trade. The gold tie is from Elder Louth, and the black striped tie is one I bought with a friend, but I kind of want to trade it, so I need to see if I can get permission. The blue and black paisley tie is my favorite, and is from Hermano Ballard, my teacher from the MTC. I also spilled tomato sauce on it one time. Its not as shiny as it used to be on the bottom, but other than that, the damage isn't bad. 

I talk too much.

Love you all!


-Elder Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment