Colton's ready for his mission

Colton's ready for his mission

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Lost somewhere in the transfer.


Yeah, I can't even remember where I'm at right now. I won't lie, I feel like I've been in Mattawa for years. The members are starting to tell me, "You've been here a while now, huh?" I keep getting told the meaning of Mattawa is "Where is it?" Do all missionaries go crazy? I'm going to say yes, and I'm one of the healthier ones, because I recognize it.

Another week passes by. We didn't have anyone in church, and of the members, many didn't go also. This season is hard for missionary work, so I've heard, because everyone starts working on the farms on Sundays, including members unfortunately. I'm hoping we'll be able to find a new job for some of our investigators, that doesn't have them working on Sunday, but we'll see how that goes. We've been trying to find more people, but we tend to either get ignored when knocking, or get strange responses. Such as, me asking "Hi! What's your name!" and the person cracked in the doorway, pausing for a moment, and responding "...Why?". I gave them a strange look, that kind of expressed, "What kind of question is that?" Anyway, we still haven't been able to find many new people, and the new people we have found we have been dropping pretty fast. We're praying pretty hard that God will help us find the people that are prepared for the Gospel. 

Random experience I had this week. Don't take this the wrong way, but I made the strange decision that I don't want to ever get married except in the temple. So far, while I've been out here, I've seen a lot of marriages, and a lot of "partnerships". More of those partnerships. And generally, they're all broken, except for the people that were married or sealed in the temple. I have no idea who I'm going to marry one day, and luckily, I don't have to think about that right now because I'm a missionary. :) But whereas before I might have thought about trying to marry someone and convert them later, I've now made a resolve to only marry within the temple. The temple is a lot prettier than any other place you could get married anyways.

Something I thought I should mention, is that a few weeks ago I met my Stake President's sister in law. That was pretty cool. She told me a story of how President Teshima once scared her little boy, and she was so mad at him. :) Which is funny, because I've only thought of him as a big teddy bear. Something we've been doing for service recently is shelving books. It's kind of difficult, because I really miss reading books, but I pull through. We also walked a dog one time that weighed more than Elder Wait. His name is Prince, and he's a Great Dane. So far I have avoided eating any kind of fish, menudo (which is cow stomach, intestines, etc.), and chocolate covered grasshoppers (Elder Kelly ate those). I've learned that the best way to make people change, is provide them an example, love them, and try to remind them to do better (when they want it). And I've learned a little how the Savior feels, because as he loves us more than we can ever understand, I love my investigators more than they will likely ever understand.

Hope that was a decent letter! Con amor,

Elder Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment