Colton's ready for his mission

Colton's ready for his mission

Thursday, October 17, 2013

September 30: Mi Primera Semana en Chelan

Hey Everyone!

So... To report on what has gone on in Chelan. A woman who has investigated the church for a long time came up to us and told us she wants to be baptized! By her son, who was just confirmed today! I'm starting to be convinced that Chelan is going to be my favorite area. But I can't play favorites so.... I can still see a lot of potential in this place. :) We have had 3 new investigators in the past few days (which is pretty good. Not incredible, but good) and I'm pretty sure I've visited the majority of the "Spanish Branch" members. They've been trying to set up a branch here for a long time, but the members haven't been steady enough to quite establish it. The good news is that they all seem to have testimonies! The bad news is that they're mostly working. The other good news is that apple season is almost over! And the other bad news is, even if we did manage to set up a branch over the winter, what will happen next summer when harvest starts and everyone has to work again....? We're still working out the kinks. But I would love to see this place get a branch, and I'm hoping I will be here for a good duration of time so I can really be involved in the work here. :) 

So, we live right by a lake, lake Chelan, which is one of the biggest lakes in the state. Chelan is mostly a tourist town, but it quiets down after Labor day. It has a population of what I would estimate to be 4-5000 people. But I really don't know. I'm sure it fluctuates with all the tour-orists. (como terrorists...) Many people have summer homes here. We also cover Manson, which is more settled, and has the majority of our members. Manson is about 10 miles away, and also has the majority of the England family, who originally settled here after WWII, and now dominate the Chelan ward. Kind of like the Timms in Oroville, and the Christensens in Mattawa. There's usually a family like that in each small town ward. The area is super pretty, and I need to get pictures of it for you all. :) So, I'm going to put my camera in my backpack after this. If I remember.

To answer a bunch of questions I got, it's getting pretty cold up here, probably 50's in the early morning, and it's been raining quite a bit, which I love. I need to work on getting us some new investigators, but this area seems to have a LOT of potential, everyone is so smiley and friendly. Unless you go to the nice looking homes. My last companion, Elder Cramer, was from North Carolina, and I was with him for 10 weeks (the longest companion he's had thus far). He was really great, really funny, we knew about a lot of the same things, the only thing that disappointed me was that he didn't care for Lord of the Rings. :) I loved my time with him, and we did have the occasional arguement, but what's important is that we still love each other, and we overcame our differences. He's got so much heart, and really wants to be the best missionary he can, and I'm immensely proud of him. In Oroville, we had about 20% spanish investigators, but I believe here in Chelan, it's more like 50/50, which I'm excited about. :) 

I'm going to try and think of a bunch of other good stuff to write about next week as well. Thanks for all of the suppport everyone, les quiero!

Elder Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment